Registration for the 2021 course is now closed.
“But our citizenship is in heaven. We are eagerly waiting for a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ. By the power that enables him to subject all things to himself, he will transform our humble bodies to be like his glorious body.” (Philippians 3:20-21)
Geriatric and Care Facility Ministry Course.
This course can lead to a ministry, please consider the wonderful words of Philippians 3:20-21. While these words apply to us all, they are especially meaningful to those who are nearing the end of their lives. And they define the mission of this course; to train and enable church members to assist their pastors in ministering to the elderly Citizens of Heaven.
The Geriatric and Care Facility Ministry course is a three-credit online course offered by Martin Luther College. The course is available to lay men and women (pastors, teachers and staff ministers too!) and as an elective for those who are enrolled in the Chaplain Certificate Program. The course will be offered in late August and cover a 15-week semester (late August to December). Plan to spend about five to seven hours a week on course work. However, since the course will be offered online and not taught “live” by the instructor, there will be great flexibility in completing the weekly study and assignments.
The course will help those who take it to:
- Understand the importance of ministry to the aging.
- Acquire specific knowledge of physical, cognitive, emotional and especially spiritual issues.
- Develop individualized skills to care for the homebound or those who are in care facilities.
- Work as a member of a team consisting of the pastor, congregation and care facility staff.
- Reflect upon and evaluate their experience or involvement in geriatric ministry.
- Explore ways to enhance and expand the ministry.
100% Citizens of Heaven Tuition Grant Available Through WELS Special Ministries - Available to all WELS and ELS Members.
WELS Special Ministries will continue to offer a 100% tuition grant to all members of WELS and ELS congregations who register for the Geriatric and Care Facility Ministry course.
- The name of this grant program is the Citizens of Heaven Tuition Grant. The funding has been provided by Martin Luther Memorial Home.
- The tuition for the three-credit Geriatric and Care Facility Ministry online course is currently $960.00. The Citizens of Heaven Tuition Grant will cover the entire $960.00 cost.
Martin Luther Elder Care Ministries will provide every person who completes this course a certificate that recognizes this achievement and an identification badge which can be worn when serving in elder care facilities.
Are You Interested?
If you are interested in taking this course and assisting your pastor in ministering to the elderly, getting started is easy. First, contact your pastor and let him know. The 2022 course will be open in the Spring.
What Happens Next?
- Both Martin Luther College (MLC) and WELS Special Ministries will automatically be emailed a copy of your registration.
- MLC will email you a confirmation, next steps and an invoice for $960.00 for the course tuition. You will not have to pay that invoice.
- WELS Special Ministries will send a check for your tuition to MLC for $960.00—100% of the tuition.
- Future course information will be emailed by MLC directly to you.
It is planned that this course will be offered at least once a year, but enrollment in each class will be limited to 20 people. So, it is important to talk to your pastor as soon as you can about assisting him in ministering to the elderly, and then complete the 2022 registration in the Spring.